Monday, October 4, 2010

Here Comes the Bride, All Dressed in White

So this weekend was jam packed with quite a few of my favorite things. I started off my weekend with a trip down to Simon's Bridal in Dover with Mommy for some good old-fashioned mother daughter bonding.

We had gone up to Fantasia Bridal on 202 (not to be confused with the Gentleman's Club) and had a good experience with adorable, extremely Greek bridal consultant Mietra. She showed us a variety of dresses and helped us to figure out that I prefer strapless sweetheart necklines, slightly full A-line shapes, and apparently secretly like lace even though I don't want to admit it. The two dresses that I tried there are below. I feel comfortable posting them here because I know after shopping around that neither of them is "THE ONE," but instead the distant cousins of "THE ONE."


At Simon's we stuck to the same sort of dress: sweetheart, strapless, and lace with a little bit of detail. Mom and I literally looked through there entire selection and learned why all the bridal consultants are constantly rubbing their shoulders and getting cortizone shots. Mom's tennis elbow is acting up and my shoulders were a bit sore because THOSE DRESSES ARE HEAVY! And when they're packed in and you have to shove them aside to see detailing, you really aren't messing around with how much work it is to move them.



I am pretty sure that I tried on over a dozen gowns while we were there. There were quite a few that were definitely not it. And I now know that I like lace
bodices, not lace skirts. Apparently it's a process. And our bridal consultant, Debbie, even made me try on a spectacularly over the top dress that I would never wear, but I have to say that it was definitely fun to try out.




So now it's just a matter of checking a few more stores, but I think I found "THE ONE" on our trip down there. After I'm sure, I'll be taking the caravan of important women in my life down to see it and get the approval. More on that in a few weeks!

2 comments:

  1. hehee :) that looks like a dress on "Say yes..." one that should cost like $8000 and worn by a fashion diva. Definitely over the top - but you look awesome in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helpful consultants are so important. I thought I knew what style I wanted but the consultant said I should try a certain one that was not the same style and I loved it. So instead of a Ren Faire style with long sleeves and not a big skirt, I ended up with a corset with straps and a big skirt. The only thing that didn't change from my preconceived nottions was no sequins and other embellishments. My decorations were all embroidery.

    Kelley

    Glad you are enjoying the process. Love the over the top picture. Can't wait to see what you end up with (although I guess you won't blog that if you don't want Alex to see it).

    ReplyDelete