Monday, March 22, 2010

A Love Poem

I was working on a few blog posts for National Poetry Month at work and came across this lovely poem called "Sonnets on Love XIII" by Jean de Sponde. I think I might use it for the front page of the wedding website once I get that set up.

Sonnets on Love XIII

by Jean de Sponde


"Give me a place to stand," Archimedes said,

and I can move the world." Paradoxical, clever,

is remark which first explained the use of the lever

as an academic joke. But if that dead


sage could return to life, he would find a clear

demonstration of his idea, which is not

pure theory after all. That putative spot

exists in the love I feel for you, my dear.


What could be more immovable or stronger?

hat becomes more and more secure, the longer


it is battered by inconstancy and the stress

we find in our lives? Here is that fine fixed point

from which to move a world that is out of joint,

as he could have done, had he known a love like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment