Thursday, February 4, 2010

Today's Delaware Adoption Fun Fact


So even though I'm not sure if I want to go through with the whole process, I've been gathering some information about how to go about finding my birth parents (with Mom's blessing of course...). Today I looked up a bit on information online and found out that all adoptees in Delaware have two birth certificates, one that was used from birth to adoption and one used after.

More often than not, the original birth certificate contains the name that the birth mother intended for their child. In other words, I could have a totally different name and not even know it.



Mind you, not all birth moms bothered giving their newborn a temporary name (Just "Baby Girl Insert Last Name Here"), figuring that the adoptive parents would take care of that, but it is something to think about.

The cost to have my original birth certificate mailed to me is $25. Chances are it will have no useful information on it, but now I'm dying to find out for sure. The form says it could take up to three months to be mailed back to me, and I don't doubt that based on my conversation with an employee there. But it's something to look forward to.


2 comments:

  1. Something to look forward to? So you paid the fee and filled out the form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my desk, haven't mailed it yet, but I intend to. Figure that step can't really hurt anything. Why?

    ReplyDelete